Friends

19 Nov

Eric Carle has long been a favorite in our house.  My children cut their teeth on his books.  My 3 year old granddaughter can ‘read’ Brown Bear, Bear all by herself.  Of course, she will only do this while sitting in your lap (smart girl).  My 15 month old granddaughter was dressed in a Very Hungry Caterpillar knit baby outfit for her first Halloween. And today, I picked up a copy of his newest book Friends for my son who just got engaged.

51r4PVqDyOL._AA160_The artwork is amazing! Naturally.  It’s a beautiful story of a young boy who’s best friend moves away.  He is so lonely that he decided to go find her.  He swims through oceans, climbs mountains, travels through forests, and finally goes through a flower garden where he gathers a bouquet and finds his friend.  “I knew you would come,” she said.  And they got married.

On the last pages, Eric Carle shows the reader a photograph taken of him with a little neighbor girl when he was only three years old.  That photo is the basis for the cover art.  When he was six years old, he and his parents moved back to Germany and he never saw his friend again.  But years later, he married his wife Barbara who was one of the primary inspirations for this book.

Awww, I’m a sucker for a good love story.  I guess that’s why I immediately thought to buy this book, not for one of my granddaughters who love picture books, but for my son who loves his best friend.

Gotta go now, my eyes are a little wet.   Oh yeah, before I forget, here’s a nice little youtube of Eric Carle talking about his new book.  You watch while I get a tissue.  See you around the blog!

9 Responses to “Friends”

1. Natasha Wing December 3, 2013 at 2:18 PM #

I saw the original artwork for the Friends book at the Eric Carle Museum of Picture Book Art in Amherst, Mass. I recommend going there.

2. Patricia Tilton November 25, 2013 at 11:02 AM #

His books were favorites with my daughter — we must have grown kids the same age. Love the video! Love his artwork.

3. fgassette November 22, 2013 at 9:47 AM #

Welcome! Thank you for subscribing to follow my blog. I hope you are encouraged, inspired and enjoy the photos I take of life’s events as seen through the lens of my camera.
    BE ENCOURAGED! BE BLESSED!

• Juliana Lee November 22, 2013 at 3:26 PM #

Always looking for inspiration! Glad to have connected with you!

4. Perfecting Motherhood November 20, 2013 at 2:19 PM #

He’s such a wonderful artist! I really want to visit his museum in Massachusetts one day.

• Juliana Lee November 20, 2013 at 2:47 PM #

That would be a great trip wouldn’t it! I am in awe of such amazing talent!