Louise Borden

14 Dec

Have you ever been so preoccupied that you walked out of a store without paying?  I have.  I did.  Today!  I was in my favorite children’s book store, The Blue Manatee, in Cincinnati laughing and talking with old and new friends.  One of the employees is a teacher I used to work with, and who works there part time.  Every time I visit on a Saturday we hug and catch up with each other’s news.  And today was extra special because I got a chance to meet a children’s author.  Louise Borden, is a native Cincinnatian who has written several books for children and young adults.  She read from some of her books and talked to the kids and parents in attendance.

IMG_1321 IMG_1317

I picked up a picture book, Big Brothers Don’t Take Naps and her new non-fiction The Journey That Saved Curious George: The True Wartime Escape of Margret and H. A. Rey.  She graciously signed both copies and we talked for a long time.  I was fascinated with her story as an author.  I also learned that we have a lot in common, having been and lived in many of the same cities around the world.

IMG_1324

We chatted for so long, that when I walked out of the store, autographed books in hand, I was in a happy fog and simply left without paying!  I didn’t realize my mistake until I got home and started showing my husband my new purchases… uh, are they called purchases if you don’t purchase them?  Yikes!  I called the store right away, explained what had happened and gave them my credit card number over the phone.  Whew!  Yes, these are my new purchases!

big-brothers-dont-take-naps

51Jiy2FfPRL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_

10 Responses to “Louise Borden”

1. orthodoxmom3 December 16, 2013 at 4:39 PM #

I have done that (walked out without paying) and it is soooo embarrasing…and I’m always worried when I go back in that they’ll think I did it on purpose…but usually the response is rather jovial!

• Juliana Lee December 16, 2013 at 4:46 PM #

I guess when go back in, or call as I did, they know you didn’t really mean to walk away without paying!

2. Midwestern Plant Girl December 16, 2013 at 1:46 PM #

Oops! Glad the store gave you a mulligan!!

• Juliana Lee December 16, 2013 at 1:52 PM #

Hahahahaahhhaahaahha! I do a LOT of business with them!

3. kirsticall December 16, 2013 at 1:03 PM #

Hi Juliana! Thanks for visiting my website. I think you’ve done a great job with your website. It looks fantastic! I hope to hear about your debut children’s book soon! Thanks for your congrats!

4. mpejovic December 15, 2013 at 2:37 PM #

Haha, I’ve done that before, leaving items in a stroller’s basket under the seat, and in a shopping cart under everything else. Every time I’ve gone back in the store, which is really a pain when you drag 2 kids around. At least, it sounds like you had a great conversation before your theft. 😉

• Juliana Lee December 15, 2013 at 3:38 PM #

You know, I was avoiding the words steal and theft, but since you brought it up…. I totally missed the BOOK THIEF angle!

• mpejovic December 15, 2013 at 9:17 PM #

Oh, haha, that would have been perfect!!! One of my favorite books, by the way.

5. angie December 15, 2013 at 1:18 PM #

Now THAT sounds like something I’d do!!! 🙂 Too funny!

• Juliana Lee December 15, 2013 at 2:21 PM #

OK faceless angie, make me go look you up! You’re littlebirdie! Hi! Welcome to my life, please come back and visit now and again!