Storyline Online

22 Jan

I was browsing pinterest this afternoon, just following a whim, and found a treasure trove of children’s literature read by actors and actresses on You Tube from Storyline Online, a part of the the Screen Actors Guild Foundation. Before I knew it, I had spent over an hour listening to some of my favorite books being read by some superb people.  You’ve got to hear Rainbow Fish read by Ernest Borgnine, Harry the Dirty Dog, read by animal lover Betty White, My Rotten Redheaded Older Brother read by one of my favorite redheads Melissa Gilbert, and Stellaluna, read by Pamela Reed.  And I also must admit, there were several titles I had never heard of.  My new favorite is To Be a Drum, read by James Earl Jones.  Who could pass an opportunity to hear James Earl Jones read anything?  Not me!  I’m so glad I did.  This is a fabulous book about slavery and freedom.  Take a minute or two, or sixty, and browse this site for yourself.  I’ll bet you find a new favorite too!

Image

A to Z Book Directory

9 Responses to “Storyline Online”

1. Kathy Temean February 21, 2014 at 8:06 PM #

Juliana,

Beautiful picture that you have used for your banner. Where was it taken?

Kathy

• Juliana Lee February 22, 2014 at 9:49 PM #

Hi Kathy. This is the Cincinnati skyline as seen from across the Ohio River in Kentucky. Isn’t it beautiful? I found it on Google images. I bet you you could find your hometown or favorite city too!

• Kathy Temean February 22, 2014 at 10:04 PM #

It is beautiful. I had no idea Cincinnati looked so pretty. The photographer did a great job of capturing the lights. Thanks for letting me know.

2. orthodoxmom3 January 24, 2014 at 6:55 PM #

Oh thank you for this information! I have a certain 3 year old that will love using that! And Pinterest? Oh…..so many ideas….yeah, I try to stay away from that addiction…I look for something for just a few minutes and an hour later…..oh my.

• Juliana Lee January 24, 2014 at 9:02 PM #

Storyline is a treasure! Hope you enjoy it!

• orthodoxmom3 February 21, 2014 at 11:04 AM #

We’ve used it several times now! I love it! And so does he! I love sites like this that he can use while he sits beside me…. he has his ‘computer book time’ while I have mine 😉

• Juliana Lee February 21, 2014 at 11:17 AM #

So glad you like it. Side by side story time is just as important as lap time since little ones see you enjoying your books as well. Great example to set early on!

3. Prairie Garden Girl January 22, 2014 at 2:47 PM #

An Excellent post, Juliana. I have used Storyline Online in my classroom. My ELLs [English as a Second Language Learners] so enjoyed the many read alouds. Don’t ‘cha just love Pinterest. Many boards and pins have I.

• Juliana Lee January 22, 2014 at 3:07 PM #

It’s an addiction! However, I do get great ideas there, so not all bad either!