Video

The Napping House

10 Mar

Unknown

I thought I’d celebrate Napping Day today with an old favorite, The Napping House  written by Audrey Wood and illustrated by Don Wood.  I love the rhythm and repetition of the text.  Audrey Wood is a master with words!  You can’t beat it…

‘And on that granny there is a child, a dreaming child on a snoring granny, on a cozy bed, in a napping house, where everyone is sleeping.’

And of course, the illustrations are not only playful but beautiful.  Don Wood captures the exact feeling of the story.  Watch how the light changes as the napping begins and as everyone wakes up from their naps.

Here is a fun video of the book being read aloud.  Enjoy your nap today!

Napping Day was founded by Boston University professor William Anthony and his wife Camille in 1999.  Napping Day is the unofficial holiday to help people adjust to Daylight Saving Time.  It is always the Monday after we ‘spring forward’ losing an hour of sleep the night before.  It was established to  promote health and productivity.  Studies show that regular napping can reduce the risk of death from heart related problems.  However, a 2009 study in the UK indicated that naps could increase the risk of developing type 2 diabetes.  Yikes!  My advice – take a nap and control other risks for diabetes!

8 Responses to “The Napping House”

1. Stephanae V. McCoy March 11, 2014 at 9:26 PM #

What a cute story. I’m going to have to get this book for my little grandson. Loved how the story was read in the video.

• Juliana Lee March 11, 2014 at 10:51 PM #

It was a classroom favorite and one of my family’s favorites also. Your grandson will love it!

2. mpejovic March 11, 2014 at 4:22 PM #

My kids and I love that book! It’s a great book to read at bedtime for sleepy eyes.

3. Patricia Tilton March 10, 2014 at 11:09 PM #

I haven’t read that book in years. My daughter used to love it.

• Juliana Lee March 11, 2014 at 10:49 AM #

I used to read it to my classes often. Now I read it to my grandchildren. What’s not to love!

4. Prairie Garden Girl March 10, 2014 at 7:16 PM #

Did not know there is an official *napping day.* Well, I guess I missed out on the opportunity for a nap when I returned home from school today. However, I did enjoy some time in the garden and a jog. I do know The Napping House. I have two copies of this favorite book.

• Juliana Lee March 10, 2014 at 10:01 PM #

I didn’t realize it either until this morning, it was a happy surprise!