Goodnight, Ark

12 Sep

19934938

Goodnight, Ark written by Laura Sassi and illustrated by Jane Chapman (2014)

Opening rhyme: “Beds are ready, Food is stored. Noah hollers, ‘All Aboard!'” Two by two the creatures of the land and air board the ark. Then Noah announces ‘time for bed’ and the animals all buddy up in their spots. The rain starts quietly at first and then grows into a storm with thunder and lightening, waking all the animal pairs. And two by two they all clamber into bed with Noah! They wiggle, slither, jump, and pounce to join Noah until at last the bed breaks. When the skunks let out their stinky fumes, everyone scrambles back to their own bunks. Noah tucks them all in safe and snug singing a bedtime lullaby. Last rhyme: “Noah smiles in the dark. ‘Goodnight,friends. Goodnight, Ark.'”

Laura Sassi gives a delightful twist to the popular bible story of Noah and the Ark. Without losing the essence of the original story, she weaves humor and rhyme into the first bedtime routine on the ark.

Jane Chapman’s illustrations are childlike, bright and playful all while expertly lulling little eyes to sleep… zzzzz. Whisper now, what more could a parent want?

What a beautiful story! So much fun to read and share with little ones. Feel the calm before the storm, frolic with the frightened animals, rest assured that you are never alone. Goodnight sweet ones….

Just found this lovely YouTube picture book trailer forΒ Goodnight, Ark. Take a look, I’m sure you’ll love it!Β

6 Responses to “Goodnight, Ark”

1. Patricia Tilton September 14, 2014 at 3:14 PM #

Just saw this book reviewed Friday. It looks like a very humorous book kids. Love the illustrations. Hope you had a great time at NO SCBWI this weekend!

• Juliana Lee September 20, 2014 at 12:16 AM #

Thanks Pat. It is a very light-hearted look at Noah’s animal problems. (Today was the first day of the conference and I’m loving it… can’t wait for tomorrow!)

2. Juliana Lee September 12, 2014 at 6:54 PM #

Can I just ‘like’ that Laura Sassi saw this and ‘liked’ it? πŸ™‚
    I love sharing great books with readers, and when I can reach out and tell the authors and illustrators that I appreciate their work it’s even more satisfying! πŸ™‚

• Laura Sassi September 15, 2014 at 10:18 AM #

Yes, Juliana, I love reading your blog and how you feature new books and often relate them to the celebration of special days…Thanks for featuring GOODNIGHT, ARK and I’m so glad you found that trailer. Best to you, Laura

• writersideup September 19, 2014 at 8:38 PM #

I’m loving seeing your book all over the place, Laura πŸ™‚ What I REALLY want is to see it in my hands! πŸ˜€

Thanks, Juliana πŸ™‚

• Juliana Lee September 20, 2014 at 12:14 AM #

I hope you do get a copy of it soon. Well worth the wait!