The Book With No Pictures

20 Nov

Here’s another book I’ve been dying to read! The concept of a picture book without pictures was intriguing to say the least. Then I saw the excerpt of B.J. Novak reading from his book to a room full of children had me sold on the idea. Watch here for yourself.

20821299

The Book With No Pictures written by B.J. Novak (2014)

B.J. Novak has written a picture book with no pictures brilliantly! This is a perfect read-aloud book. He begins by letting the reader know there are no pictures, but the upside is that the reader must read every single word in the book exactly as written. Now, the listening child gets to hear the adult reader saying things like ‘I am a monkey who taught myself to read’ and ‘My only friend in the whole wide world is a hippo named Boo Boo Butt’. The reader must sing, use silly voices, and read nonsense words all because they are written in the book. In addition to using words like ‘ridiculous’ and ‘preposterous’, the reader must play into the fun of reading with their child.

I think my favorite page is the middle spread. “…and also, the kid I’m reading this book to is THE BEST KID EVER IN THE HISTORY OF THE ENTIRE WORLD…” Now who wouldn’t want to hear this every time the book gets read to them? No one I know!

Get yourself a copy of this book and share it with ‘the best kid ever in the history of the entire world’!

11 Responses to “The Book With No Pictures”

1. writersideup November 23, 2014 at 5:03 PM #

This book is SO clever! I couldn’t imagine what it would be about and it sure did surprise and impress me…AND it made me giggle 🙂

• Juliana Lee November 23, 2014 at 7:16 PM #

Me too! Sometimes I think I have the sense of humor of an eight year old boy!

• writersideup November 23, 2014 at 7:31 PM #

lol, Julianna, no! Trust me, I actually know an adult who has the sense of humor of a child —well, a teenager—and there’s a difference! lol We just haven’t lost the kid in us. I think we’re lucky 🙂

2. Prairie Garden Girl November 22, 2014 at 11:16 AM #

Juliana: I have a signed copy of The Book With No Pictures! There is some controversy about this book because of the hippo named “Boo Boo Butt.” The book certainly inspires laughter with the kids.

• Prairie Garden Girl November 22, 2014 at 11:17 AM #

P. S. This comment is from Suzy Leopold AKA Prairie Garden Girl!

• Juliana Lee November 22, 2014 at 11:47 AM #

Hi Suzy! I’m starting to learn all names of followers, thanks! Yes, I know that may be offensive to some, but truthfully I only see the humor. I think the humor comes from using a word with naughty stigma (potty language) attached to it. I think kids love it because they think they can ‘make’ an adult do and say funny things.

3. orthodoxmom3 November 21, 2014 at 12:32 PM #

Sounds quite intriguing!

• Juliana Lee November 21, 2014 at 12:38 PM #

Read with enthusiasm, this could very well be the funniest book a child listens to.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Book Review Wednesday: The Book With No Pictures - The Many Hats of an Orthodox MomThe Many Hats of an Orthodox Mom - January 21, 2015

[…] Did I Choose It?  It was a book I had just read about on another blog, Julianna Lee – Crafting Stories and I spotted it on the shelf at Target during the Christmas season.  It was too tempting not to […]

2. Best of 2014 | Juliana Lee - December 31, 2014