Nothing Ever Happens at the South Pole

30 Nov

13614650

Nothing Ever Happens at the South Pole written and illustrated by Stan and Jan Berenstain (2012)

Penguin receives a journal in the mail. He is told to write in it everyday. He grabs the journal and goes for a walk, but all he does is boring, ordinary, things. None of these things is worthy of being written in his journal. He imagines that if his life were more exciting, there would be interesting things to write in his journal. Little does he know that each of those ordinary things became extraordinary as he passed them by. They actually were more similar to his imagination than he thought, but he dismisses them as unworthy writing ideas. So he goes to bed thinking that nothing every happens at the South Pole, but hoping that tomorrow might be a better day for writing.

This book was originally written in 1962 by Stan and Jan Berenstain as a follow-up to The Big Honey Hunt. However, the popularity of the Berenstain Bears in their first book led to a series, and the South Pole book was stored away in favor of the bears. The Berenstains wrote over 250 books in the series with Mama Bear, Papa Bear, Brother Bear, and Sister Bear. It wasn’t until after the death of Stan Berenstain, that Nothing Ever Happens at the South Pole was discovered in their basement archives. So with the help of her son Mike, Jan Berenstain finished the book. It was published 50 years after its original conception.

I love the story of the little penguin who is blind to what is really happening around him and who doesn’t trust his own story writing ability in the first place. And I’m so happy that Jan and her son, Mike Berenstain found it before it was too late and offered it to a new generation of Berenstain fans.

8 Responses to “Nothing Ever Happens at the South Pole”

1. writersideup December 1, 2014 at 9:54 PM #

I always loved the Berenstains, but never heard of this one, Juliana. Thanks!

• Juliana Lee December 1, 2014 at 10:13 PM #

I love finding new books. Glad you found it too!

2. creationsbymit December 1, 2014 at 1:36 PM #

How cool that the story was dusted off and published after all that time! Great post!

3. Sue Heavenrich December 1, 2014 at 1:32 PM #

This sounds a bit like “Delia’s Dull Day – an incredibly boring story” by Andy Myer! I love stories about people/penguins who seek adventure but can’t see that it’s all around them!

• Juliana Lee December 1, 2014 at 6:51 PM #

I haven’t read that one Sue, I’m going to check it out… thanks!

4. jdewdropsofink December 1, 2014 at 11:21 AM #

What a fun book I haven’t heard of. Thank you for telling me about it.

• Juliana Lee December 1, 2014 at 6:52 PM #

My pleasure! I love finding new books to read. Glad you liked it too.