Best of 2014

31 Dec

EC11CONTENTS_1_WEBcrop

This has been an awesome year for picture books!

I have been having a blast reading and writing about picture books this year. I’ve been blown away by the talented authors and illustrators published in the last twelve months. Like so many other sites, I wanted to create my own Top 10 list, but honestly there are so many superb picture books, I can’t limit my 2014 favorites to only 10 so I’ve chosen 25 instead. And even that was difficult!

Let me say right up front that there are many books on other ‘best books’ lists that I have not read, but these are my picks based on the ones I have read and featured on my blog this year. You can go back and look at what I thought about each one individually by following the title link back to my recommendations.

I seriously couldn’t put these in a hierarchy of ‘bestedness’, so I put them in alphabetical order by author’s last name like you would find on the shelves of your favorite bookstore or library.

So, without further ado…

Drumroll, please!

My Top 25 Best Picture Books of 2014

♥♥♥

Best Clumsy Moose Book

17899648

DUCK, DUCK, MOOSE! by Sudipta Bardham-Quallen and Noah Z. Jones

Best Treasure Hunting Adventure

20708761

SAM AND DAVE DIG A HOLE by Mac Barnett and Jon Klassen

***

Best Naked Toddler Adventure18352657NAKED! by Michael Ian Black and Debbie Ridpath Ohi

Best Light in the Dark Picture Book

Best Lost and Found and Loved Book

17978136

FOUND by Salina Yoon

Best PreSchool Sharing Book

18005275

EARLY BIRD by Toni Yuly

13 Responses to “Best of 2014”

1. lauraboffa February 15, 2015 at 9:59 AM #

This looks like a great list! I haven’t read many, I guess it’s time to hit the new releases shelf at the library! Thanks for sharing.

• Juliana Lee February 15, 2015 at 6:32 PM #

Thank you Laura. I love my library… that’s where I get most of my books. I support bookstores, but I just can’t buy all the books I love to read!

2. Laura Gehl January 5, 2015 at 1:44 PM #

Honored to be on the list, Juliana! Thank you!

• Juliana Lee January 6, 2015 at 11:26 AM #

Thank you Laura! ONE BIG PAIR OF UNDERWEAR was one big hit in our house!

3. Patricia Tilton January 1, 2015 at 8:21 PM #

That’s one long list. Did you have any books you didn’t like? 🙂 Great choices.

• Juliana Lee January 1, 2015 at 10:33 PM #

There actually are Pat. But I never review books I don’t like. It’s just too dismissive and I don’t want to spread that kind of negativity. Besides, just because I don’t care for a book, doesn’t mean someone else won’t like it. My biggest problem in making this list is reviewing all the great books I did read this year and limiting my Best of 2014 list to only 25. There are so many other wonderful books I reviewed on my blog that I truly loved, just needed to make the cut somewhere and I arbitrarily chose 25 as my cut line. I do feel bad for the ones I liked that didn’t get mentioned.

• Patricia Tilton January 3, 2015 at 3:26 PM #

Understand about not reviewing a book you don’t like. My goal is to share books that heal with parents, so why share something that I don’t think works. Agree with your reasons!

4. writersideup December 31, 2014 at 5:45 PM #

Juliana, I just tweeted this (several tweets) to a lot of the authors/illustrators here, but only included your handle in one.

5. writersideup December 31, 2014 at 5:17 PM #

What a fantastic list, Juliana! There are only about 4 I hadn’t seen, but the rest I have and agree! 😀

• Juliana Lee December 31, 2014 at 9:27 PM #

Thanks again, Donna. Glad you agree, we usually do!

6. mysweetheartlife December 31, 2014 at 11:32 AM #

Reblogged this on My Sweetheart Life and commented:
    Here is a great list of books for children from a fellow WordPress blogger, Juliana Lee. Don’t get me started in how important I think reading and a love of books is, especially from an early age. My grandson (15 months old) and I have independent reading time and together reading time every day. Every day. Enjoy!

• Juliana Lee December 31, 2014 at 4:08 PM #

So happy you liked the post. You are so right about starting early. I used to teach 2nd grade, and can tell you for sure, the kids who read at home were far ahead of their peers when they got to school. Keep up the great work!