The 7 Levels of Children’s Literature

12 Oct

I was having dinner with my husband’s cousins this weekend and the topic turned to my writing. “So, what are you working on?” I went on to describe a couple of my stories which are ‘out there’ waiting for representation and the new work I’m doing on the CYBILS Easy Reader and Early Chapter Book panel. The latter was met with cocked heads and furrowed brows. It wasn’t the Award that was confusing, it was the difference between Easy Readers and Early Chapter Books.

Confused

It’s actually a look I’m quite familiar with; many of the parents of my second graders had the same look when I introduced them to the genres past picture books. Most of these parents, and I believe the general public, think there is one giant step their children make from picture books (which them deem as ‘too easy’ for their kiddos) to chapter books (which they erroneously believe their budding geniuses should be reading). I can’t tell you how many parents want their kids graduating from Dr. Seuss to Harry Potter in one fell swoop. And, as the gate-keeper to the class library, I should be the one to put these books in their hands. But I digress…

So, back to the confusion between the levels of children’s literature. Although someone else may have more or fewer, depending on how they organize their thinking, I’d like to discuss seven stages of children’s literature which correspond to children’s levels of reading development. These are categories which can be identified in most libraries and bookstores and are agreed upon terms by the kid lit community. Now, the tricky thing to remember about readers is that no one is totally in one category or another. Children often flow between two or three categories at a time, and should be encouraged to do so.

What I’ve done here to help ‘outsiders’ understand the differences, is to give an example of how the writing changes for each category. Beginning with a story told completely with illustrations and ending with a story told with no illustrations, topics of increasing maturity are presented to the reader.

1. Wordless: No text. (full illustrations)

2. Near Wordless: Duck. Worm. (full illustration)

3. Picture Book: Duck and Worm are friends. (full illustration)

4. Easy Reader: This is Duck. This is Worm. Duck and Worm are best friends. Duck likes to fish. Worm likes to draw. Worm drew a picture of Duck. “You are a great artist, Worm,” said Duck.   (some illustration)

5. Early Chapter Book: “Hey, Worm,” Mallard called to his little brother, Wesley. Mallard picked up his rod and reel. “Shake a leg.  We need to leave now if we want fish for dinner tonight.” Wesley yawned and threw his covers back. “I’m coming,” he said. (fewer illustrations)

6. Middle Grade: Mallard and Wesley marched into Coach Goliath’s office after football practice. Middle School is hard enough without having to deal with the social hierarchy forced upon them by the likes of the knuckleheads on the gridiron. It’s about time someone stood up for the rights of the little guy. And, with Mallard at his side, Wesley felt taller than his 4 foot 9 inches. (illustrated sporadically)

7. Young Adult: It’s unnatural. At least that’s what the demonstrators outside Oak Park City Hall claimed. Wesley shrank away from the chanting crowd. If anyone saw him, there would surely be a lynching tonight. Oak Park’s old guard wasn’t ready for high school prom queen like Wesley. And he wasn’t ready to provide them with one either. He clutched his carry-on bag in one hand and his ticket in the other. He darted toward Mallard’s waiting car at the edge of the parking lot. (text carries the story)

As you can see, the main differences in the levels are in the subject matter, vocabulary, sentence structure, and dependence on illustrations. Each one has a unique function and fills a need in children’s literature. Do not be tempted to rush a child you know through the levels. Take time. Savor the stories. Allow children to become confident, fluent readers who read for enjoyment… not to reach the next landmark… and you will have a happy, life-long reader.

Dogs-Reading

16 Responses to “The 7 Levels of Children’s Literature”

1. Marcia Strykowski November 4, 2015 at 7:42 PM #

Great post and I love your examples. We reorganized our library about a year or so ago to include the early chapter books. They used to be mixed in with Juvenile (MG) but now they make a nice stepping stone between easy readers and J fiction. I totally agree with your thoughts on not rushing kids through the levels!

• Juliana Lee November 5, 2015 at 10:59 AM #

Thanks for your comments, Marcia. I always love hearing what librarians think. I find that it often correlates with teachers’ thinking. 🙂

2. SciFi and Scary October 13, 2015 at 3:05 PM #

Wow, thank you for this. I honestly didn’t know there were words out there for it. Right now my six year old drifts between easy readers and early chapter books. Good to know!

• Juliana Lee October 13, 2015 at 9:55 PM #

Thank you. I’m happy to give you the words to help you choose books for your children. And I’m so happy to know that you’ve given him/her the freedom to ‘drift’ between levels. Kids are like adults… we don’t always want to read in the same levels. In any given day we might read a blog, a political cartoon, a novel, a recipe, a news article, a manual, lego directions, a magazine editorial, and so on. So let’s all read what we need and enjoy at the moment and not worry about the level. 🙂

• SciFi and Scary October 13, 2015 at 11:19 PM #

We’re a family of bookworms. (I even review them. Heh.) She reads anything that catches her eye. We even do audiobooks at night. Right now we are reading The Unlikely Adventures of Mabel Jones, Rabbids at the Museum, Junie B First Grader (at last), and always finding a few minutes to giggle over Calvin and Hobbes.

3. Darlene October 13, 2015 at 10:48 AM #

Excellent explanation! My middle grade books don´t have illustrations, although the cover has photographs related to the story. It seems to work.

• Juliana Lee October 13, 2015 at 10:54 AM #

Thank you, Darlene. Yes, good point. I should have said that starting with middle grade novels sometimes the only illustrations are the covers.

4. Jilanne Hoffmann October 12, 2015 at 6:58 PM #

Fantabulous ways to discern the differences!

• Juliana Lee October 12, 2015 at 8:32 PM #

Thank you, Jilanne. I appreciate the compliment. It can be tricky sometimes, especially for parents and grandparents who are choosing books for their children to read.

5. Lauri Fortino October 12, 2015 at 6:52 PM #

Excellent breakdown, Juliana!

• Juliana Lee October 12, 2015 at 8:31 PM #

Thanks Lauri. Can’t wait to read your debut picture book. Look for it on my Books Alive page… already thinking of some fun activities to pair with it!

6. Jane Heitman Healy October 12, 2015 at 6:50 PM #

This is a great post, Juliana! You definitely show, not tell, the differences between the different levels. This one’s a keeper!

• Juliana Lee October 12, 2015 at 8:27 PM #

Thank you, Jane. I hope it can help someone who needs a little more guidance than a wonderful librarian like you!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Reblogged: The 7 Levels of Children’s Literature | Scifi and Scary - October 17, 2015

[…] Source: The 7 Levels of Children’s Literature […]