The Creative Life

22 Jun

When thinking about creativity and creative people we often think of artists, musicians, or inventors. But really, when you get right down to it, we are ALL creative beings.  Merriam-Webster defines creative as ‘the ability or power to create’, and create as ‘to bring into existence something new’ and ‘to produce through imaginative skill’. Everyone from the boardroom to the maintenance room has the ability to create something new through imaginative skill at work and at home.

Children do this instinctively. Given an empty box, a child will create a whole new world, a new mode of transportation, a home for imaginary animals, or quiet place for contemplation.

French sculpture, painter, and pioneer of modern art, Henri Matisse defined creative people with these words:

What-are-creative-people-like

As writers, illustrators, publishers, and more we are well aware of the power of imagination and the creative souls of individuals. We make it our business to provide, enhance, nurture, model, and shape new ideas.

Today, I’m taking Matisse’s words to heart. Working on a new story idea, I need to be all these things (and more).

What do you need to reach your goals?

6 Responses to “The Creative Life”

1. trinitygrau June 26, 2017 at 10:50 AM #

A good typewriter that can take my hacking at it for months, a pair of headphones that can cut me off from the rest off the world, and a good playlist sending me into the one I’m creating.

• Juliana Lee June 26, 2017 at 2:58 PM #

Great additions! We all need something special to take us into what we’re creating, don’t we? Good luck on your journey!

2. Norah Colvin June 23, 2017 at 7:09 AM #

I love this quote by Matisse, Juliana. The way you have presented it is very much in keeping with his work – I love the colour! I am a big believer in encouraging creativity in children. Sadly, far too often our schools discourage it.

• Juliana Lee June 23, 2017 at 11:11 AM #

Thank you, Norah. I’m saddened whenever I hear stories of overwhelmed teachers and lack of time to do things we know are right for kids. As a writer, I can only hope to reach a few more kids and instill some sense of creativity and help them escape the madness.

3. Jane Heitman Healy June 22, 2017 at 10:44 PM #

Great post, Juliana. Time to play increases my creativity! Best wishes with your new story idea!

• Juliana Lee June 23, 2017 at 11:13 AM #

Thanks, Jane! I just passed it by my agent this morning and she seemed to like it. It’s a new twist to an old story… aren’t they all? 🙂